Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Making God Happy

I admit that when I first heard this phrase - making God happy - I went like... erm... that sounds kinda foreign and er... 'foolish'. You know what I mean, new phrases and terms just come up around us here and there. They are here now and gone the next day as newer phrases and cooler terms are being invented... or they are being used casually without much meaning...

I mean, if we talk about revering God, or be serious with God, obey God, love God, praise God etc etc, I (think I) can understand. But what do you mean by 'making God happy'? I can't even quite comprehend it, let alone do it. So conveniently, out of my window it went! I threw this phrase out of my mind, subconsciously, not because I want to, but simply because it's not in my dictionary! Vocab deluge! And yes, I must say it sounds kinda... 'foolish'... definitely not my cup of tea! or so I think...

Years on... I find myself not only understanding this phrase (a little) better, but also realising that there's nothing else I really want to do except... to make God happy. Dead meat. I can't even recognise myself now... so what has caused the change? I pondered...

I can only say that God does wonders with our weak but sincere heart that keeps saying 'yes' to Him. Little by little, how He reveals His heart and led me to encounter His truths as I respond to His word. What is God looking for? I want to be. What does God like? I want to become. What is God saying? I lean over to hear. What is God doing now? I sign-up and get myself involved in it. Not self-manufactured (I know how to do that, and, I somehow can detect it, within myself, if it's of the flesh :p and repent!); but a change that only He can bring...

It often starts with a divine dissatisfaction (poor in the spirit..Mat.5), leading one to a painful realisation (hunger, thirst, mourn..) as one presses in for the things of God. Painful as one dies to self, shakes off every weight and sin that ensnares, and this is the hard part - keep walking, keep trusting, keep pressing in, keep gazing at Jesus, keep going... till God breaks in.

Now, I don't really care whether I appear foolish or am doing something foolish... I just care.. I just care that... I just care very much that... I am found... making God happy...


1Cor. 1:25, 27-29 ~ "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men...But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.
Be acceptable in Your sight,


No comments:

 
Site Meter