Monday, July 19, 2010

The Cleansing Power of God's Word

My friend posted this comment on her facebook status: "The boy who hates to bathe found a way to "excuse" himself. He rubs hand sanitiser all over his body and proclaim himself ALL CLEAN!! No need to bathe anymore!"

I had a good laugh!

Who can approach God? Those with clean hands and a pure heart… (Psa 24). Throughout the bible, it is made known that cleanliness of hands (our action) and purity of hearts (our thoughts, minds etc) is mandatory to approaching God, for He is holy.

The priests in the Old Testament had to go through a thorough cleansing regime before they enter into the Holy of holies, where God’s shikenah presence dwells. Any impurity would spell a death sentence. Such is the holiness of God.

Yet He beckons us to draw near. There must be a catch, don’t you think so?

In our day and time, how do we cleanse ourselves daily as we approach God in intimacy? On our own, it can be a daunting task. What do I mean by that? Don’t think of pink elephants. Immediately our minds are filled with pink elephants. You get the drift…

I have good news. The gospel is for people who say “I can’t” and who go to God to lean on Him and be empowered. At times, we overcome instantaneously, while other times it is a continual overcoming process.

So how do we sanctify ourselves? One of the ways is to lean on His word. John 17:7 says, “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” and again in Eph 3:26 we read, "... that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word."

It's not hard, really. It is only hard when we depend on our own flesh to accomplish the sanctification. Our part is to co-operate with God and respond to His word. Let the reading of the word cleanse our heart, mind, body, soul and spirit!

Suggested meditations: Psalm 119

Oh, how these verses move my heart...

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.

71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted,
That I may learn Your statutes.

72 The law of Your mouth is better to me
Than thousands of coins of gold and silver.

92 Unless Your law had been my delight,
I would then have perished in my affliction.

93 I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have given me life.

127 Therefore I love Your commandments
More than gold, yes, than fine gold!


"

No comments:

 
Site Meter