Monday, February 14, 2011

Of Incense, hope and love...

Smoke filled the air... I peeked out of my window and saw pockets of people burning incense at the void deck near where I lived. I hurriedly closed the windows a little bit more to avoid the smell from sticking on to my clothes that I just brought out to dry.

As the smell of burning incense drifted into my house, I thought of the days I participated in these very same routine - how I would help my granny with all the preparations and just as any kid, watch in excitement as I watch all that stuff burn. Whenever my granny was not watching, I would throw in a few branches and leaves to keep the fire burning. What a sight!

Although I observed this tradition of burning incense and offering food sacrifices, I was often curious why my granny did what she did. These experiences opened my eyes to how humans relate to their gods. Some do it out of fear - better believe in it than not believe in it. Some do it for blessings and protection. Others do it out of gratitude to their gods. While some others follow the tradition in a hope for better days to come.

My granny has since passed on for almost 30 years now... When I encountered Jesus in my life in my JC days, I felt that I was betraying my granny if I were to follow not-her-god, for she loved me. My friend assured me that if my granny loved me, she would support me in the decisions that I would make in my life. With that, it freed me to make that personal choice to follow Jesus. Since then, I never looked back.

Years on as a Christian, I realised more and more that the practices that come with each faith often becomes a religious routine if we do it without understanding the heart of it. If our faith spells a conviction, come rain or shine (both literally and figuratively), we will still do it. If our faith becomes a convenient good-to-have faith, we will only do it when it is convenient to us (aka we become our own god). The key is to have a heart-check and do something about it.

As the smell of incense burning subsides, I opened my window wide to let in some fresh air. As I breathed in deeply, I reminded myself that the next time I offer up incense to my God, in worship and prayer, may I quieten my heart in solitude as I engage it with God's heart, seeking understanding - His ways, His thoughts... and walk in it. After all, what does God require of us... "but to revere the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good? Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the LORD your God, also the earth with all that is in it..." Deuteronomy 10:12-14



No comments:

 
Site Meter